View the Role Utilisation Report
What will you learn in this lesson?
After completing this lesson, you’ll be able to:
- Explain how to use the Role Utilisation Report
Let’s set the scene.
|Layne would like to know how much of her team’s available time is being used and how much of it is billable.|
What is the Role Utilisation Report?
The Role Utilisation Report gives an overview of how much of a Role or Team’s available time is being consumed, whether it be via time logged, holidays were taken, or both. It will provide answers to questions such as:
- How many hours did a person (Role) work in a given week?
- How much of the time logged was billable v non-billable?
- How are we tracking towards our billable target?
- What percentage of available time is being utilized?
The report consists of two main components:
(1) Top Section – settings that let you change the view of the report.
(2) Report – the detail of the Roles and the time.
Some things that are important to know:
- “Hours Per Week” is a value defined on a Role record.
- “Billable Target %” is also defined on a Role record, representing a percentage of the Hours Per Week
- A Project, Milestone, Action or Time Log can be flagged to be ‘Excluded from Billable Capacity’ in order for that time to NOT count against the Billable totals. For example, when working on a support issue as part of an ongoing contract.
(1) Filter – choose Team or Role, and then enter the required Teams or Roles.
(2) Start Date and End Date – define a timeframe for the report.
(3) View – select Weekly or Monthly to determine the grouping of the data in the report.
(4) – set the red/green breakpoints for the “Utilisation %” and “Billable Performance %” figures.
The individual figures displayed are explained below.
Hours Per Week – the number of hours this Role is meant to work per week.
Total Hours – the sum of hours logged for that period – includes Billable, Excluded from Billable Capacity, Non-Billable and Holidays.
Billable Hours Completed – the sum of Billable hours logged for that period, where ‘Exclude from Billable Capacity’ = FALSE.
Excluded from Billable Capacity – the sum of Billable hours logged for that period, where ‘Exclude from Billable Capacity’ = TRUE.
Non Billable Hours Completed – the sum of Non-Billable hours logged for that period.
Holiday Hours – the sum of Holiday hours taken that week.
Utilisation % – formula calculating ‘Total Hours’ / ‘Hours per Week’.
Billable Capacity – formula calculating ‘Hours per Week’ – (‘Excluded from Billable Capacity’ + ‘Holiday Hours’)
Billable Target % – the field from the Role record that specifies the Billable Target percentage.
Billable Target (Hrs) – formula calculating ‘Billable Capacity’ multiplied by ‘Billable Target %’.
Billable Performance % – formula calculating ‘Billable Hours’ divided by ‘Billable Target (Hrs)’.
How do I access the Role Utilisation Report?
The Role Utilisation Report is accessed via the Management Pad on the Mission Control Console. Here are the steps:
- Click the Mission Control tab.
- Click Management Pad.
- In the Role Utilisation Report tile, click View Report.
- Click the drop-down menu to select Role or Team.
- Start typing the name of the persons/teams to filter the report.
- Use the date fields to set the range for the report.
- Click Go.
Before we move on…
Layne is excited to use the Role Utilisation Report to understand which of her team member’s time is being used and how they are tracking towards their billable targets.
Ready to move on? Take the quiz below to test your knowledge.